Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Next Meeting on December 20th!

The third meeting of the Manchester Ideas Club will be on Thursday, December 20th.
Venue: Design District Urban Tavern  http://www.realpubfood.com/.
Reservation booked by Shawn Canning under the name Gustavo Wondershorts
Dinner at 6 pm. Discussion put forward at 7 pm.
Topic: Atheism and skepticism amidst a persistance of magical thinking.

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Do you mean, "I can't believe in this."?

      Delete
    2. I dunno, I'm gonna sit on the fence on this one.

      Delete
    3. So, in the poker game of life, you're kinda in?

      Delete
  2. Meeting Notes - Atheism and skepticism amidst a persistence of magical thinking

    Seven participants appeared at the Urban Tavern. We were pleasantly welcomed by $4.50 pints of house brew. Excellent food.

    Dare I say the conversation was "spirited"? I would suggest a surprising degree of agreement on the place of magic and faith in our world. Humanists abound in the Manchester Ideas Club, with little tolerance for little tolerance. We acknowledged the unexplained and mysterious, however nobody took up the cause personally in favour of an organized religious explanation for the wonders of the world. The dictionary of philosophy was handy to help us infuse the discussion with accurate meanings for "atheist" and "agnostic". And we're still in search of the god particle.

    Probably our hardest drinking session to date, the conversation ultimately swerved into a frothy exchange on governance. Membership in the MIC is in no way restricted, other than to individuals who can commit to providing the meeting coordinator with a reliable and timely RSVP by e-mail. We have yet to oversubscribe to a meeting, so please notify James if you would like to invite someone new. And given the rambunctious flow of discussion earlier in the evening, we support one member "chairing" or facilitating the topic of discussion.

    Next topic - Sustainability vs. Survivalism - January 17, 6:00 p.m. at the Kensington Pub

    Oh, and we raised $70 for YMCA Strong Kids Foundation. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. Fuck, I knew i should've gone. Magic? it's not an issue of tolerance. We all know the world is made up of mysterious spaces. The challenge is to not fill 'em up with all manner of fanciful thinking to quiet the worries. Rigorous thinking lads! That's what the world needs more of.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shawn, I must remind you that we are trying to establish a distinguishable forum. Watch the language, old chum.

    ReplyDelete